Saturday, August 28, 2010

I'm back at school, so expect more obnoxious quotes from my reading this semester.  
Classes are as followed:
Beginners Czech
Feminism in Popular Women's Genres
Race & Gender in US History
Natural Disasters
& Ancient Philosophers (my good friend Jay's class)
I love Czech, but I'm also really terrified of not doing well in that class so I've been keeping on it everyday.  I've even been watching videos online and making notecards like there's no tomorrow.  It's something that I want to learn very badly and I want to be good at it.  I hate doing things that I'm not good at, which is mainly why I do nothing at all.  haha.  This year I want to tackle things that I've always wanted to do.  I think I say this every year but it's becoming increasingly apparent that I am NOT getting any younger and I don't want to fuck this up by sitting around and doing nothing for the rest of my life because I was too scared to do it.  That's a lot to share.
So, I'm gonna step back for a second and talk about the Gainesville Women's Liberation talk that I went to the other night.  The featured speaker of the night was Carol Giardina.  She is the 1968 co-founder of the Gainesville Women's Liberation.  She works as a History and Women's Studies professor at Queens College in NY.  She was hilarious and awesome and she shed a lot of light on the history of Gainesville's involvement in Women's LIB.  Did you know that Carol Hanisch wrote, "The Personal is Political" in a duplex on NW 3rd ave???  Neither did I!!!  Fucking rad.  A lot of important figures in the Civil Rights movement and the Women's Lib. movement were there and it was overwhelming to sit in a room with people who actually FOUGHT to bring about desegregation, Roe v. Wade, the Civil Rights Act and all the little accomplishments we take for granted.  For instance, it used to be mandatory for women at UF to wear a dress until 5PM, if they were caught more than three times not doing so they were forced to stay in their dorm all weekend.  That's 48 hours of being confined to a building for NOT WEARING A FUCKING DRESS!!! That shit's insane.  Because of the Women's Liberation movement we no longer have to do that...and ain't that a beautiful thang??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment